• Not Answered

Migrating content from Sitecore 9.0.1 to 9.2

We have a Sitecore 9.0.1 instance and we're planning to upgrade to Sitecore 9.2.

Since we do not currently use many features such as EXM, xDB and xConnect, I've started considering an alternative approach:

1) Create a new Sitecore 9.2 instance

2) Upgrade our solution to 9.2 and deploy it on top on the new instance

3) Migrate the content using Unicorn (or alternatively Sitecore packages)

I've prototyped this process on my local dev environment andm the site seems to be running just fine on the new Sitecore 9.2 instance I've migrated to.

I believe this approach will work as the upgrade guide doesn't seem to mention any upgrade operation on the three main databases - core, master and web -  but I'd like to hear other opinions.

As far as I am aware the only problem might possibly be Sitecore not providing support as this isn't the same upgrade process recommended in their guide.

What do you guys think? Is there any contraindication with this approach?

Many thanks

3 Replies

• Yes sure this can work, Sitecore items are compatible between versions. (between some versions there are some notes like the introduction of the Final Layout")
    think also about the users, the rights roles, websites, rules, Url aliases, goals there is a lot you can forget, but when you miss it you can easily add it.

If you want also migrate the users take a look at:
    kb.sitecore.net/.../242631
    or
    community.sitecore.net/.../1459
  • Hi Simone,

This process should work as features such as EXM, xDB and xConnect are not used in your project.

My suggestion will be to create one more staging environment and ask your QA to do regression testing. In case the QA wants to refer some functionalities then s/he can refer to the previous staging environment. And once you are sure that everything is working as expected, you can carry out same in Production.

All the best and also let us know once you are done!
  • Hi Simone. What is your goal in deploying over top of a new instance, as opposed to working with the upgraded instance?
    We did successfully move some large chunks of items into 9.2. But this was because the upgrade took a long time (longer than we could muster for a code freeze) so the old production site had marched on and we had to pull those items forward.