Issue while installing Sitecore 9

I am facing some issues while installing Sitecore 9. I have followed all the steps to install the prerequisites.  I am getting the following error in powershell - [WebDeploy]:[Path] C:\Program Files\iis\Microsoft Web Deploy V3\msdeploy.exe
Error Code: ERROR_DACFX_NEEDED_FOR_SQL_PROVIDER
More Information: The SQL provider cannot run with dacpac option because of a missing dependency. Please make sure that DacFx is installed. Learn more at: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=221672#ERROR_DACFX_NEEDED_FOR_SQL_PROVIDER.

After looking at the error I did try to resolve it by installing the following using Web Platform Installer - 

1. Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Data-Tier Application Framework
  2. SQL Server 2012 Transact-SQL ScriptDom
  3. SQL Server System CLR Types 11.0

I found the above resolution on most of the blogs. But I am still not able to go past this error even after installing the above. 

Your help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Reema

• Hi Reema,

You may need to install the newer version for below:
    1. Microsoft SQL Server Data-Tier Application Framework (DacFx) version 2016 - www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

x64 machine require to install both x64 & x86
    2. SQLSysCLRTypes.msi x64 - go.microsoft.com/.../
    3. SQLSysCLRTypes.msi x86 - go.microsoft.com/.../

Upon installed, check if you have the following dll in your installation folder of the MS SQL server version under "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\<version>\DAC\bin\"
    1. Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.dll
    2. Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.dll
    3. Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll

Nic
  • In reply to Nicholas Siew:

Hi Nic,

Thank you for your response. I tried to install the version that you recommended and tried to run the script again but I am still getting the same error. I also verified the dll's in the installation folder.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Reema

• In reply to Reema Patel:

Hi All,

I was able to resolve the above issue by registering the dll via regedit.

Thank you,
    Reema

Hi All,

For my case it is resolved by installing below Dacfx framework as suggested by Nic

You may need to install the newer version for below:

1. Microsoft SQL Server Data-Tier Application Framework (DacFx) version 2016 - www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

x64 machine require to install both x64 & x86

2. SQLSysCLRTypes.msi x64 - go.microsoft.com/.../

3. SQLSysCLRTypes.msi x86 - go.microsoft.com/.../

But I need to set registry value in below manner

Set the path to the Data-Tier application framework in Windows Registry:

Locate the installation folder of the MS SQL server version that you are using: \%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server\<version>.

Find the Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.dll file in one of the subfolders: \DAC\bin or \SDK\Assemblies.

Store the full path to this subfolder as a DacFxPath value (String type) under the registry key \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IIS Extensions\MSDeploy\3.

Set the path to the SQL ScriptDOM and CLRTypes components in Windows Registry:

Locate the installation folder of the MS SQL server version that you are using: \%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Microsoft SQL Server\<version>.

Find the Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.dll and Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll files in one of the subfolders: \DAC\bin or \SDK\Assemblies.

Store the full path to this subfolder as a DacFxDependenciesPath value (String type) under the registry key \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IIS Extensions\MSDeploy\3.

In my case I have set the registry path for both the registry key as :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\DAC\bin  

Because I can find " Microsoft.SqlServer.Dac.dll" ,Microsoft.SqlServer.TransactSql.ScriptDom.dll and Microsoft.SqlServer.Types.dll

these dll in same folder.

Before this please check you have installed IIS on the machine.

• I had an issue where following all the suggestions still failed.
    Fixed by GAC'ing all the dlls in the SQL folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\140\DAC\bin\
    Do this at your own risk!

hi, I am encountering the same error. Could you let me know which dll you registered and how? Thank you