Sitecore 9 installation fails with "Failed to start service 'Sitecore XConnect Search Indexer - xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker"

When installing SC9, we are getting this error. There seems to be a problem starting the indexe:

[--------------------------------------- StartServices [1] : ManageService -------------------------------------------]
[StartServices [1]]:[Updating] xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker
WARNING: Waiting for service 'Sitecore XConnect Search Indexer - xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker (xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker)' to start...
>> TerminatingError(Start-Service): "The running command stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: Failed to start service 'Sitecore XConnect Search Indexer - xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker (xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker)'."
>> TerminatingError(Start-Service): "The running command stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: Failed to start service 'Sitecore XConnect Search Indexer - xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker (xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker)'."
Install-SitecoreConfiguration : Failed to start service 'Sitecore XConnect Search Indexer - xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker
(xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker)'.
At C:\websites\Sitecore Files\9\SIFLess\SIFless-EZ-1510077556.ps1:42 char:1
+ Install-SitecoreConfiguration @xconnectParams
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Install-SitecoreConfiguration
Install-SitecoreConfiguration : Failed to start service 'Sitecore XConnect Search Indexer - xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker
(xp0.xconnect-IndexWorker)'.
At C:\websites\Sitecore Files\9\SIFLess\SIFless-EZ-1510077556.ps1:42 char:1
+ Install-SitecoreConfiguration @xconnectParams
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,Install-SitecoreConfiguration

Any ideas? Has anyone seen something similar?

Thanks,

Dave

• This is not a licence issue as suggested in some of the answers.
    Solr should be set up with SSL certificate.Make sure you restart the solr after installing SSL on Solr.

Make sure ‘JAVA_HOME’ environmental variable is set up.If adding new system variable, a system restart will be needed.

• Please check xConnect service is running. Run Services.msc and check xconnect-IndexWorker service is running.
  • In reply to Aleksandar P.:

Hello Team, i was into similar issue. I would see WorkerIndex windows service is created, however script was failed due to 'could not start the server xp0.xpconnect-Indexer'. When i trying to stop the service manually, its giving error states that messages are lined and could not process.
    Can you guys suggest remedy for this?
  • In reply to Stanley Chen:

Having the same issue at the moment, has anyone noticed any changes in license files from version 8.x to 9?
  • In reply to Dominic Sinclair-Moore:

I would suggest trying with a more up to date license file. The most recent v8.x license files usually work, but it's always safest to run on the latest version of the license file just in case.
  • In reply to Mohit Jain:

good catch, I had an expired license file as well.

• The same error for Sitecore Marketing Automation Service - Failed to start service 'Sitecore Marketing Automation Engine’

This is solved by the following steps:

1. First check if there is any non-self-signed certificates, execute below PowerShell command:
    Get-Childitem cert:\LocalMachine\root -Recurse | Where-Object {$_.Issuer -ne $_.Subject}

2. If you find any, then execute the below command to move these non-self-signed certificates into the Intermediate Certification Authorities store :
    Get-Childitem cert:\LocalMachine\root -Recurse | Where-Object {$_.Issuer -ne $_.Subject} | Move-Item -Destination Cert:\LocalMachine\CA

After executing above steps, re-run the installation script again to install Sitecore

Worked for me, hope it works for you