Controller rendering not working with new installation of Sitecore8?

Keep getting below error even though control exists in master database. I tried even with Social like button but same issue.
ERROR Rendering control {54A1BA17-FDF8-47F0-9389-2A0611B6983E} not found for '/sitecore/content/Home'. Item id: {110D559F-DEA5-42EA-9C1C-8A5DF7E70EF9}, database: master.

• Could it be that the rendering definition items needs to be published to web database?
  • I've seen this issue both when the item is not published, and when security has been applied to the item so that it is not able to be loaded for the current user viewing the page.
  • Finally figured that layout was still pointing to default aspx instead of cshtml which caused this issue.
  • Harish's reply is accurate but probably needs more description. In short, you can't mix MVC and Web Form renderings/layouts. My situation was putting an MVC controller rendering into a layout using an .aspx page, ie Web Forms. I did a little write-up you can read here:

findgnosis.com/.../

I don't know if this happens often enough that Sitecore should throw a more descriptive error. Also seems like a default Sitecore install should come with some sample MVC layouts and renderings, not just Web Forms.